Cedar Creek Gold Rush

The Cedar Creek Mining District is located in Mineral County, Montana on the east slope of the Bitterroot Mountains, southwest of what is now the town of Superior. The district encompasses Cedar, Quartz and Trout Creeks and their tributaries, which originate near the crest of the northwestward extension of the Bitterroot Range. The creeks flow northeastward to the Clark Fork River. Mineral County is bound by Missoula and Sanders counties and shares a border with the State of Idaho.

 

Mineral County

Mineral County encompasses 1,223 square miles. Its land is 82% National Forest and is managed by the US Forest Service. 3% of the land is owned by the State of Montana and 15% is privately owned. The county’s rich mining history lends its name.

Most of the county topography is quite rugged with elevations ranging from 2500 to 8000 feet above sea level.

There are 87 miles of river, 650 miles of streams and over 50 high mountain lakes to compliment the innumerable alpine meadows, magnificent waterfalls and jaw dropping vistas.

 

The Mineral County area started being developed following the construction of the Mullan Trail in 1859. Prior to clearing and cutting of the trail, extremely dense forests of giant cedars, ponderosa pine, hemlock, tamarack and fir made traveling through the area arduous and very dangerous. Captain Mullan forbade any of his men to search for gold for fear a “gold rush” would disrupt the trail construction.

On September 11, 1865 the first two claims were filed, on the St. Regis River. W. W. Johnson, who had worked as a surveyor on the Mullan Trail, filed a gold claim, the “Missoula Gold and Silver Quartz Ledge,” and Peter Toft filed the “Beaver Gold and Silver Quartz Ledge”. Sketchy historical records fail to indicate whether either claim was ever actually worked.

 

https://www.youtube.com/@raremetalblog9657/videos

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bestgoldiraaccounts/irayou2be/gold-ira-storage-options.html

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bestgoldiraaccounts/irayou2be/self-directed-ira-regulations.html

History Of The Cedar Creek Gold Rush

In the fall of 1868, a French Canadian prospector, Louis Barrette had run out of luck and dreams working the gold fields of Northern Idaho. Despondent and broke, he set out for the French Canadian encampment of Frenchtown, Montana located along the Mullen Road. Barrette hoped that the kindness of his fellow countrymen would shelter him through the harsh Montana winter.

Traveling from Idaho to Montana, Barrette followed the St. Joe River to its headwaters in the Coeur d’ Alene Mountains. As he rode along the summit trail he noticed a deep basin on the Montana side that, to his gold prospector’s eye, looked promising. However winter was moving in and he needed to proceed to Frenchtown before snow fall in the high country prevented his passage.

 

Barrette firmly resolved that he would put together supplies and return to prospect the area in the spring.